At Haslams, we have been helping people from all over the world to find their perfect home – be that rented accommodation or a permanent residence. Here are some of our top tips for Hongkongers looking to relocate to Reading.
There are generally two ways that people can relocate from overseas.
Firstly, a relocation agent is a great option for someone looking to relocate to a new country. A relocation agent can assist with all aspects of moving including:
- Arranging viewings
- Organising school visits
- Sorting out a work visa (if applicable)
- Shipping removals
- Moving a pet from abroad
- Organising a switch to a UK bank account
Haslams has a relationship with a reputable relocation agent – get in touch with our Business Development Manager, Megan on 0118 960 1055 for more information.
Alternatively, it is possible to relocate on your own. Ideally, in this case, you would have a representative in the country – such as a friend or family member – that would be able to conduct property visits and handle the face-to-face elements. If you do not have someone in the country, Haslams and other agents can assist by conducting virtual tours so that you can cross finding a property off your list.
Hongkongers moving to the UK have a range of different needs. Fortunately, there are lots of different property options in Reading to suit your lifestyle needs whether you’re looking to rent, buy, or invest. These include:
- Town centre apartments
- New build properties
- Fully furnished properties
- Investment opportunities
We find that many of our customers arriving from Hong Kong are looking to stay in an initial property for a year or two, as they establish themselves. As well as fully furnished properties – there are also options to rent furniture. This can be a good option for those looking for a property, but who are not yet ready to commit to buying their own furniture.
For investors and buyers, Haslams have established a trusted network of partnerships which include some of the top local furniture suppliers who can help to fit out a property.
If you require assistance with fitting out your home, contact Haslams on 0118 960 1000.
One of the most common questions we get from people looking to relocate from Hong Kong to the UK is about the timescales.
For those looking to rent, Haslams often market properties 3 months in advance of the property being available to live in. You can leave it as late as 3 weeks prior to the move in date. Each family should consider their own personal circumstances and we would recommend beginning the search as early as possible. If you are considering your move, you may wish to register with Haslams to receive property alerts for when new listings come to the market.
Here are some of our recommendations for those looking to move from Hong Kong to Reading.
- If your English isn’t strong, we would recommend hiring a translator – especially when signing contracts.
- If you do not have a job lined up in the UK, you will need to arrange to have a bank statement showing that you have an income to let or buy a property here.
- For non-BNOs relocating to the UK, you will need to complete ‘Right to Rent’ checks. This shows that you have the legal right to live in the UK. You will also need a valid visa, passport and share code (you can also use your boarding card).
- For more information on ‘Right to Rent’, click here.
- If you’re paying rent in advance, then you will need to consider switching to a UK bank account to avoid additional complications.
For more information on relocating from Hong Kong to Reading, click here.
If you need any help with your relocation, or you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact Haslams directly. We look forward to welcoming you to our town.